Sunday 13 January 2019

Pacific Coastal, 1/700

One of the byproducts of getting wrapped up in Cruel Seas - and also in continuing the development of my own new set of coastal rules - is that my interest in coastal actions in the Pacific Theatre of Operations has been piqued. Oh, and also from picking up a cheap copy of "They Were Expendable" on DVD just before Christmas.

The PTO was actually one of my first areas of coastal interest back in the late 1980s when I picked up a couple of boxes of the 1/700 Skywave fast attack craft set. This has a Vosper 72'6, German S100 and an 80' Elco, each in a stopped and high speed version. I had a few 1/700 Tamiya, Hasegawa and Matchbox bigger ships as well. When Action Stations took off in the mid 1990s the first demo game that I ran at the old Bristol wargames show was a Pacific game with these. But by then I was also hard over on games set in the North Sea, the Channel and the Med, and these using 1/600 models. The Pacific theatre stuff was consigned to a storage box where it has stayed pretty much ever since, until now.

Going through that box and a few boxes of "odds and sods" revealed quite a few damaged or unmade models that, with a little work, could revitalise my collection. So in the last days of 2018 and over the last couple of weeks I've set to getting them all sorted out. The results can be seen in the following few photos. I must say, I'm quite pleased at how these have come out in the end. Only 30 years in the making! 











5 comments:

  1. Nice! Can you share your basing method? I have a ton of new PT Dockyard ships to base. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was wondering when I saw the pink sub, did you refight "Operation Petticoat"?! WW

    ReplyDelete
  3. The models all look very nice. Although it is hard to see the nurse on the Sea Tiger in 1/700.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite a collection David!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how a long term project can just come together. ;-)

    ReplyDelete