Wednesday 15 November 2017

Shannons

Today I unearthed one of my projects from about 5 or 6 years back; Napoleonic frigate actions in 1/450(ish) using the old Airfix "HMS Shannon" model as a basis. I have made up three of these plus a model of the USS Constitution (was this a Lindberg kit?), but they've been languishing in a box since before our first house move. A chat on Facebook about the Airfix "Victory" model prompted my memory on these and there was a request for some photos , so here they are. Very much a work in progress, bit I may just have to crack on and sort these out now (in between finishing off my new 1/3000 Span-Am models - more on those at the weekend!)






PS any ideas on what I could use for ratlines on these models? 

9 comments:

  1. Fishing line? For the Span Am did you mean 1/2400th?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Really liked your naval contributions to Connections 2017. Long overdue to get the Navy and Air Force involved at that event! The WATU presentation was certainly an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always had an idea for using these models in some kind of Napoleonic naval game, I might even have one put away unmade somewhere.

    They are a good size. I'm using the 1/900th Sails of Glory models and can get away without rigging.

    I did make a paper boat in the same scale and used black cotton coated in PVA glue to give it some body for some rudimentary rigging (my boat was very unlucky as I kept dropping it or dropping things on it). As for ratlines an idea might be to try flywire mesh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For ratlines, you might want to look at the photoetch ratlines that are available in 1/600 and 1/350 scale from Atlantic Models or Alliance Modelworks. Just do an internet search for the 1/600 (or 1/350) ratlines and that should bring up some links and images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking those...good old Airfix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use paint brush bristles on my 1/600s. A single big, cheap brush from the hardware store is all the ratlines you'll ever need! Also I'm terrible at knots so gluing the bristles results in a nice taut line I just can't achieve with thread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...did you mean ratlines or standing rigging.. :o) For ratlines I would do some searches on plastic mesh on eBay and the like???

    ReplyDelete