Sunday 30 August 2020

LCT 7074

Last weekend saw the culmination of many years work on the part of friends at the National Museum of the Royal Navy and their supporting contractors in restoring and relocating LCT7074 to her new home at the D Day Story (formerly the D Day Museum) in Southsea. I had a minor role in this, sitting on the restoration project board and reviewing some of the technical aspects of the project. Last weekend, after a storm-affected few days of delay, 7074 finally reached Southsea, made landfall (with a few dramas) and motored down the Esplanade to the museum. Final fitting out is ongoing and should be finished by mid October. For me this was a pretty emotional few days and seeing her arrive at her new home really brought a tear to my eye. I thought you. dear readers, might like to see a few of my pictures from the event. For naval wargamers she now makes an excellent visual reference for those working on LCT and other coastal models :)














5 comments:

  1. That is spectacular! I bet that slowed the traffic down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the news and I can honestly say it was the only piece of good news that day. It is brilliant when history is saved and this is real history from one of the most important events (D-Day) that has ever happened. It took courage to save it from its sad derelict state. My congratulations and admiration to everyone involved this project. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks very sharp. What a great project to be involved with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool to see such a great piece of Navy history getting restored and put on public display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive stuff. What a find addition to the museum. Congrats to all involved.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete