Monday 10 February 2020

Conn....Sonar

Some time ago I joined the Conn...Sonar FB group and downloaded the rules. For those that don't know, CS is a fun set of submarine vs submarine wargame rules (there are later additions that bring in ships and aircraft, but at its heart it is sub vs sub). I have a load of 1/700 models - and I keep finding odd ones that I never finished; a 688 was unearthed in my spares box yesterday. However, 1/700 models look way too big on the table. They would be ideal for a demo or parti game at a show but unless the "ground" scale was stretched in a regular game the models would look quite cramped.

Fortunately, Thingiverse and the Photon have come to the rescue. After a few searches, some downloading and a series of mostly successful prints I have a small collection of 1/2400 models. Some more hunting got me a few more designs which I printed out yesterday, so now I just need to sort out sets of control cards for the boats and I should be ready to go :)







3 comments:

  1. OK Boomer! (Sorry, couldn't resist). Great looking models. Shapeways has some full hull 1/2400 subs, but they don't look nearly as detailed as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One ping, Vassiliy. One ping only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking at some sub vs. sub action too. 1/700 is probably too large for nuke boats, but could work for diesels. I think 1/2400 is too small for a good visual game, but I've been thinking about trying 1/1800 or 1/1250. There are some stores on Shapeways that make a wide variety of full hull subs in those scales (such as https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bill-s-bits-n-pieces).

    I'm looking forward to seeing you get these (and the steampunk subs) in a game.

    ReplyDelete