Saturday 2 February 2019

Denmark Strait

One of the things that I have had in mind to try sometime is to fight a particular battle with different rules and to compare results, having seen the Society of Ancients do something similar over the years. It would seem to be an interesting group project, so I suggested this on the Facebook "Naval Wargames" group, but since there are many who don't use Mr Zuckerberg's site I thought I'd repeat it here.


The idea is to refight the 1941 battle of Denmark Strait, ideally around May 24th this year, play out the battle and then for as many people as possible to compare notes. Nothing to stressy, just play out the battle with your local chums, then post a brief AAR to the FB group, on your blog or to me listing the rules used and the result of the game. A few people on the FB group asked about a common scenario so I'm working up a simple one page sheet that has the "core" starting points for an action commencing at 0552 on May 24th, and which lists various possible options (such as including the Suffolk and Norfolk in the action, optional rules for defective shells and turrets, etc.). I'll plan to post that here once I've had a chance to work it up properly.

Is anyone interested? For starters I'll be doing it with "Find, Fix and Strike", and I might try GQ2 as well.

Of course this is just a precursor to INWarD 2019, taking place in August :)

15 comments:

  1. Great idea. It will be very interesting to see the results. I have not painted WW2 ships for a long time; it might be high time to break that drought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, absolutely first class idea and we on the other side of the world will be watching extremely closely

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a most interesting idea. I hope that you get a lot of takers. It's not my period, so I'll follow this one vicariously. As one who does not wish to encourage Mr Zuckerberg in any way, I am pleased that you'll be using this forum to report on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will give that a go. I have some 1/6000 scale models for it somewhere. I would probably use VAS or Naval Thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking idea! I've played Denmark Strait three times with different rule sets (Victory at Sea, GQ1 and Battlestations! Battlestations!)and it is a very good touchstone to (a) see how they compare, and (b) get to grips with a new set.

    So I think you can sign me and young Henry up for this one David - I'm hoping I'll have published my own rules by then (Fight the Ship) which are designed specifically for actions between four to six ships.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a scenario I've played this several times to test elements of my own rules (Engage!) as I develop them. Also played using GQ1 and "Salvo Fire".

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to participate in this excellent idea using 1/6000 Figurehead minis, a new portable ocean hex mat, and a modified version of General Quarters 1 & 2 (new straddle table incorporating immune zone info from books).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Id be interested in this also with 1/6000 GQ2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David, I recently purchased Find, Fix and Strike and have a few rules questions. What/where's the best forum to discuss them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've done this scenario before with a few different rules sets over the years, most recently using GQ-III. Never managed to get anything resembling the Historic results.
    Be interested to see the different rules systems all shake out.

    Ed B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Potentially interested in this great idea - I shall follow with interest...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes please, Renko and , myself would be interested

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. My usual "go-to" scenario is the River Plate for WW2 naval rules. Happy to participate in 1:6000 with a number of "fast play" rule sets.

    Andy. W.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What link would get me to the Naval Wargames Facebook page .. I ask as I have seemed to join the wrong one!

    ReplyDelete