Thursday 27 September 2018

Manxman

Fifteen years ago I bought a large box of battered and broken 1/600 WW2 warships. I was putting together the moderls for the NWS 60th anniversary refight of North Cape and the wrecks were  a useful source of spare parts for other models that I was renovating. In amongst the wrecks was a half decent model of Manxman, the fast minelayer from WW2. I thought that would be an ideal model to do up to go with my 1/600 coastal forces models.

Fast forward 15 years (and two house moves) and the model has been languishing in a box all that time, waiting for her refit. I came across the model by chance and decided now was the time. A quick application of hacksaw to the lower hull to make a waterline model, some rugged wire masts as befits a wargaming model that may encounter ham-fists, a scenic base and a rummage through the spares box to replace a few missing items and she was ready for the paint shop. I applied a a representative disruptive camouflage scheme, a light black/brown wash, dry brushing of the ship and the sea, and some additional wake and all finished :)




6 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    She scrubbed pretty well indeed old chap!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, she cleaned up very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work
    Also a case in point of "very long term planning" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shop your closet! You never know what you'll find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, she turned out very nice indeed!👍

    ReplyDelete