Monday 4 May 2015

Quite a Few Things Happened....

.. in the last half hour :)

My crazy life continued to be as crazy as ever over the last week but I did grab a spare hour to playtest the developments that I made to my Stingray rules after the first game. The rules as I had them first worked OK, but some inevitable tweaking was needed, not least because I was finding the Terror Fish too resistant to damage, and certainly no one shot kills as one so frequently sees in the source material (in fact I think Sting Missiles ALWAYS kill a TTF in one shot, but that would make for a less than interesting game I think).

So, after some minor mods to the damage table and a few updates notes regarding when damage takes effect, number of weapons that can be launched and other minor things we were off for another undersea bash. This time I also introduced "Spiny Norman", a giant anenome with stings that could damage a sub. As it happened Spiny dang near won the game.


The "standard" scenario that I'm working with has two Stingray class subs covering the withdrawl of a civilian research submarine form the palying area, with six TTFs in pursuit. This time the TTFs blew up quite nicely but one of their missiles scored a close proximity hit on the civilian sub which jammed its rudder (only one turn per game turn allowed), which meant it was forced to enter Spiny Norman's "zone of control" in its next movement phase; Norman's stings ripped open the hull (three sixes rolled for damage, taking out all of the sub's reserve of buoyancy) and she sank like  astone to the bottom.




Meanwhile Tigershark had taken a couple of lucky hits which left her dead in the water and ripe for destruction, and a near miss on Stingray damaged her sonar and fire control, leaving her unable to launch missiles. With the civilians stck on the bottom, one supersub ko'd and the other out of bullets and two TTFs still active the World Aquanaut Security Patrol were forced to withdraw.



The whole game lasted about half an hour (handy!)



I made a few more tweaks and set up for another game, this time a rescue attempt to save the crew of a downed World Navy submarine. This was also to have been the debut for "Tangles" the wonder jelly fish. And it was all going very well until two furry denizens of the deep pitched up and flattened the playing area.


Scottie and Ole did a good job reminding me it was supper time and so the game came to a close. I think the main rules are just about there now, now I need to work on the extras and the various "biologicals" "Spiny and Tangles have some big friends!), and a few scenarios, as well as some extra terrain pieces. But all coming along nicely I think.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Looks very good - even the feline denizens of the deep - and I like the playing mat. Any details on availability at all?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hex mat is from Magister Militum. It comes in a very bright blue which looks a bit nasty. But give it a wash (by itself) and it becomes a lovely blue/grey, which is exactly the kind of appearance I was after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hex mat is from Magister Militum. It comes in a very bright blue which looks a bit nasty. But give it a wash (by itself) and it becomes a lovely blue/grey, which is exactly the kind of appearance I was after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant looking game, very colourful and original. I also have trouble with furry denizens of the deep, especially at dinnertime. They are especially find of knocking over block games like CC Napoleonics, or CC Cat Toys as they call it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice indeed, especially the jellyfish model. Where, may I ask does that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a fish tank decoration that I found on Ebay for 99p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah cats! If we place one piece of paper on the kitchen counter (like mail or a bill) you can be guaranteed that the cat will want to sit on that spot.

    They are very silly and cute animals! Thanks for the post and the smile.

    David S.

    ReplyDelete